Monday, February 22, 2010

A good deal?


As I've mentioned before, groceries are quite expensive here.  We spend roughly 3-4 times as much on food here than we did back home.

But one surprising thing is that produce is a little bit on the cheaper side because almost all of it is grown locally.  If you can find a little produce shop in your neighborhood, it's even cheaper than buying it at a regular grocery store.  

Shortly after we arrived here we discovered a little hole-in-the-wall corner shop that we could find things that we didn't see anywhere else (like BBQ sauce, or refried beans, etc.).  Then after we had been here for around a year or so, a friend of Tom's told us that said hole-in-the-wall has a huge produce sale every Monday, where they put every kind of produce imaginable out front, and it's all half price!

Today I walked the kids down to this little shop and bought our produce for the week.  It never ceases to amaze me how much I can get for so little there.  I bought:

A bag of tomatoes
4 bell peppers, red and yellow
2 oranges
3 cucumbers
2 containers of strawberries
A bag of apples
2 yams
1 artichoke
1 large zucchini
4 carrots
5 onions
A bag of basil
9 avocados

I never could have taken a picture of the whole lot, but I wanted to show some of them in the picture above.  I love pretty produce.

Do you want to know how much it was?  I know my sisters are reading this, yelling in their heads, "Yes!", so I'll tell you.

Approximately $15.00.

I can barely get 2 gallons of milk for that price.

6 comments:

Jared and Tara said...

yum! and i bet being locally grown means it tastes way better than what we get in the stores too. 2 gallons of milk for that price though? i think we'd starve or go bankrupt in the first week.

Devon said...

Holy freak on the price!! WOW!

Awesome on the locally grown...I wish we could get more locally grown around here!!

Kristin Aiello said...

I am glad to hear you found the secret. That is a great deal. I think that is better than I can get at Reams, little alone at the farmers market. Love it!

Megan G said...

DANG that's awesome!

Mike Balderree said...

I can also see our sisters saying "Yes!"

Anonymous said...

I really like the change!
Thanks,
Hanan