Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bible Lands Museum

Last week we went to an amazing museum that covered the lands of the Bible. Tom was DROOLING. He was about as giddy as I've ever seen him. And I was amazed at how quickly and easily he could explain pretty much anything. Each little room had corresponding scriptures from the Old Testament that explained what time period the relics would have come from. For instance, there is a chapter in Genesis 14 about how Abraham fought in the battle of the kings. They had a whole room full of weapons that would have been used for that specific battle. It was a LOT of information, and Tom took about 100 pictures, but I'll just post a few....


Here is a scene of an Athenian marriage ceremony (similar to something we've seen before?? Hmmmm).


This was exciting for Tom because he studies this (I call it chicken scratches) every day. It's Sumerian written in cuneiform. This is a brick from the Ur 3rd period (not that people even know what that means, but if I don't include it, Tom will croak), and was taken from the foundation of a temple (approx. 21st century B.C). Are you asleep yet? Tom also wants me to say that the current king was Amar-Sin, because if I didn't include that you would lay awake at night wondering, right?


Here is the cute little Jojo standing in front of an "anthropoid sarcophoagus lid" a.k.a. dead person's coffin from Egypt and it is OLD. Dates back to 1391-1196 B.C.


This is a brick from one of Nebuchadnezzar's temples. 7th century B.C.


Once you're done admiring my adorable 4 year old, who was very well behaved on this excursion I must say, look at that sweet statue behind her. It's a statue of Ramses II. We're talking the one during Moses' time. I found that pretty amazing, but I didn't drool. I left that for Tom.

5 comments:

Lori said...

That is amazing. That is some way cool stuff. Thanks for sharing because I am sure I will never get there to see it all!

Megan G said...

Dang that looks cool! Were any of the explanations in English? Or did Tom get to be your translator for the whole thing? (Nice to have a personal tour guide for free!)

Kristin Aiello said...

Fun family outing. You spelled excursion wrong. By the way, our daughter is now singing bow-chika-chika-bow-wow all day long. So, of course, Tom has to suffer.

Jared and Tara said...

ok a few things.

1. reading these posts about tom makes me more convinced than ever that i was dropped on my head as a child. i am reading a CHILDRENS book on the history of the world...and i don't have the faintest idea what's going on...

2. you guys always do such fun things! we love reading about your adventures.

3. i vote for more pictures of amy. not that seeing tom and your stinkin cute kids isn't nice, we just like to see you too. :)

Cyndy said...

Amy, those pictures were cool! Emma and I have been studying those same things in our History class. Of course, our knowledge of the events is, shall we say, a little more basic than Tom's!

Cyndy