Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Safe and sound

We've been in St. Louis for a few days, enjoying being with Tom's parents and sisters.  So far we have:

Gone to church on Sunday, minus the awesome view of the Old City.

Gone to the zoo, which included a trip to Build-a-Bear for the kids courtesy of Omi and Abba.

Omi and Abba also bought the kids Happy Meals, which indeed resulted in very happy kids.  Joni enjoyed having the food passed to us through the window.  Jackson was thrilled that the colorful box contained "CHICKEN!!"


We have also eaten at a Mexican restaurant.  A-MAZ-ING.  We ate two years worth of chips and salsa.

Gone to Walgreens.  Oh my word, people.  Have you seen the makeup aisle at Walgreens?  Heaven!  This trip may or may not have included the purchase of some peanut butter M&M's.  

Eaten several delicious meals prepared by Omi, and have had fun catching up with Tom's family.  I am lucky to have such great in-laws.

~~~~~~~~~~

The trip back was much less eventful than the last plane ride experience.  Although, Jackson refused to sleep again, which was loads of fun.  I was deliriously tired because of the phenergen I took for nausea so I feel like I took about a hundred 5 minute naps, always wakened by a screaming/crying Jackson.  The funniest part of the whole trip was when Jackson beeped going through a metal detector in Frankfurt so security had him hold his arms out to the side while they PATTED. HIM. DOWN.  A 2 year old.  Maybe you had to be there, but it was pretty hilarious.

 
Jet-lag has been quite an experience with two small children.  I woke up to Jackson running around the house at about 4:30 this morning.  He suddenly discovered how easy it is to escape a porta-crib.  We knew this somewhat obvious knowledge would come eventually, but the timing still stinks.

It has been interesting to see food and places we haven't thought about in so long.  And everything is so stinkin' green, I can hardly believe it.  The humidity might kill me, but I figure I better start getting used to it sooner or later.


It's also interesting to see how different the general public looks to me.  I couldn't help but people-watch while at the zoo.  People are much bigger here, both in weight and height.  And no one covers their head.  I feel like I've never seen so much hair before.

5 comments:

Diamond said...

I can't wait to hear the other discoveries that Joni will make in America.

Shane and Geana said...

Yeah, I am so happy it was easier, that would be impossible to live through twice! I am excited to see you guys :)

Rebecca said...

Glad you're home!

Devon said...

Glad you're enjoying being back! I missed the previous posts...have to go back and read!

Kristine said...

So glad you made it back safe and sounds. If you are loving Walgreens wait til you walk into an Ulta store. Savannah was patted down at Phx airport when she was 2 as well. We were potty training and the lady scared her so bad she peed her pants. Seriously people, is it necessary.