Monday, June 16, 2008

My-oh-my how I love my dad!

I recognize this is a day late, but I couldn't let Father's Day pass without saying a word or two about my dad. I could probably sum it up by saying he is the best dad a girl could ask for, but that wouldn't do him justice.

Some of my best memories of my dad are our trips up to Washington. When I was young, Dad made regular trips up to Vancouver for business, and I would beg him to let me come. Listening to Beach Boys tapes with the windows down, and stopping at McDonalds for lunch sounded like more fun than, well, anything.

As a teenager, I appreciated having a "yellow" dad, who somehow seemed to understand my need for fun. When my friends would ask me to do something, they would often say, "Be sure to ask your dad!" because they knew his response was usually, "Only if you have fun!"

He's the handy-man to beat all handy-men. And not only can he fix anything, he has a geographically-genius mind. I'm not sure how this is possible, but he's been to every town, whether big or small, in the Western United States. You could say, "Have you ever been to La Barge, Wyoming?" And he would proceed to tell you which gas station is the cheapest, the elevation, the rough estimate of the population, and any significant landmarks within 100 miles. Seriously... he's that cool.

I'll admit, though, that solving our childhood sibling rivalry was not his strong point. The following quote from Bill Cosby will give you an idea of what I'm about to say....
"Parents are not interested in justice. They are interested in peace and quiet."
If us kids ever started yelling and fighting, he would usually pretend for a while to not hear us, then he would suddenly come storming into the room, ordering each of us kids to go to a different room, and not say another word. If we did say another word...well, I don't know...I can't think of a time that we did continue to talk. I stand corrected - I guess he was good at solving fights. :)

Since Tom and I are very familiar with the student life, I've appreciated his favorite saying, "I like to take care of my students." Let's just say we occasionally get some extra perks.

And last but not least, he is a great example. Even though he came from less than ideal familial circumstances, he is one of the sweetest people I know. He does what's right, he serves the Lord with all his heart, and you can't help but feel good in his presence.

My-oh-my how I love my dad!!!

On a trip, of course. Dad LOVES to get in the car and go somewhere. And once he gets something planned in his head, forget it - there's no turning back.


This has always been one of my favorite pictures - catching some Z's on a roll of 2-ply.


With little Joni...up at Snow Basin, I think? So cute!

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, DAD! I LOVE YOU!!!


No comments: