Sunday, April 4, 2010

Out of touch with the world - help!

I am officially a technology dummy.  

My MP3 player disappeared a few weeks ago (how can I do any housecleaning without music?), so I have been looking around online.  What the heck people?  Since when does an MP3 player take pictures/videos, double as a flash storage device, and can be used as a webcam, all for 40 bucks?  I am amazed.  

Reminds me of when my sister came home from an LDS mission and I had to explain to her what the internet was.  I don't know how it works, it just does!

Okay, in her defense, I was FLOORED when I got home from my mission and everyone had switched to DVDs instead of VHS.  All I could think was, "What is everyone going to do with their videos?"  I was horrified.

So help me out.  What should I get???  Is there a certain brand that is best?

I don't need all the bells and whistles, I just need something that will play me some music while I clean every day.  Cheap is good, too, since you know, we don't have an income.  And if it could last me the next 5 years or so, that would be awesome, too. ;)

3 comments:

Brooke S. said...

I am an ipod girl through and through and through. Here's why:

1) They are reliable. I've outgrown all of mine before they have failed me. (because I like new shiny things - so sue me) I have broken, scratched, and done everything else to them and they have worked fine.

2) Because of their (deserved)everywhere-ness they have lots of handy dandy accessories and you can get tech support anywhere in the world.

3) If you get a basic model it will be small and won't do all that crazy doohicky stuff. There are still "extra" things that I never use, but all in all I'm pleased with the ipods ability to play music, podcasts, books on tape, and videos from time to time. You don't have to get a video one either. But I imagine it could come in handy with kiddos at some point.

Admittedly, there are some compatibility problems with Ipods. You have to use it with Itunes and if you go that route you are limited in where you get your music and how you share it (copyright stuffs).

Also, they may be pricier than other MP3s and new models may come out so fast that yours is "outdated". However, with free software updates from itunes, your hardware can live long beyond its "hip" date. And really, what do we, the over 16 crowd, care about hip?

So those are my two cents. I am a big mac fan because I like their products, but time and time again when we have interacted with customer service they have bent over backwords to help us. Even in Jordan last year they worked something out for us when our cord melted...

Good luck!

Marie said...

I have had a SanDisk Sansa e260 player for 4 years. It's small, cute, and I've never had a problem with it. Cam liked it enough that when his ipod freaked out and died (for the second time) he also bought a Sansa. I think his is the Fuze. It has expandable memory, so you can buy a micro SD card and pretty much get as much memory as you want. You can download music from anywhere, and you can sync it with windows media on your pc if you want. There really aren't any bells and whistles involved. You can watch videos and view photos, but you can't record videos or take pictures. Don't remember the exact price, since it was a while back, but it was under $100.
Good luck with your search!

Stacey Wright said...

Happy with my Sony Walkman. It's pink. That is really all I care about. And contrary to what you are picturing (cassettes?) it plays mp3s. $75-ish.