Friday, March 5, 2010

Picture(s) of the Day #5 - Tantrums

I cannot possibly do today's picture of the day justice with one measly snapshot.  

You see, Jackson is our second child, but he is unlike our first in a lot of ways.  Joni wasn't a huge tantrum thrower as a toddler.  She had the occasional meltdown, but I honestly can't think of one real tantrum from her.

Oh, how times have changed.

You know Jackson loves food, right?  Combine that with pure stubborness, and you have a lively combination.

Take today for example.  We went to the grocery store (are you sick of hearing about my grocery shopping yet?) and at the checkout they gave me the option of buying three bottles of dish soap for a shekel.  

Sure.

Then came one problem.  When we got outside the store and Jackson saw them, he was convinced they were applesauce.  He grabbed one right away and tried to run off with it.


I tried to get him to come back, but the more I tried, the farther away he ran (which, thankfully, is unusual for him).  I finally chased him down, ran back to the stroller on the main sidewalk (where a guy was creepily looking around in my basket), and strapped Jackson back into the stroller.  

The screaming began.  And oh, how this boy can scream.

He paused at times to pout and cry.


As he cried to get out of the stroller, and screamed to eat "applesauce", I tried to tell him it was soap.  Then he started screaming for soup.

Then it was back to...

"Applesaaaaaaaaauce!!!!!"

He kept screaming as I walked through the Student Village dorms area, and of course there just happened to be way more students out and about than normal.  I won't try to describe the dirty looks I got.  I also won't lie and say I didn't secretly wish them all their own screaming toddlers one day.

By the time we got home, I told (okay, barked at) Tom to please wash Jackson's hands in the sink with the new dish soap so he could see for himself that it wasn't applesauce OR soup.  

Jackson got completely drenched in the process, and changed into some dry clothes.

Then sat down at the table and ate a bowl of Cheerios like nothing ever happened.




For those of you who are new to this blog, yes, that is really what my kitchen table and chairs look like.  

Don't judge.

Pity, but don't judge.

3 comments:

Megan G said...

What a little stinker :) Oh man but he sure can smile cute! And the faux hawk just rocks.

Diamond said...

That is the BEST story! Sadly, because I can relate.

Kristin Aiello said...

Oh, the joys of a toddler boy and his mind all set on something unrealistic. Ya gotta smile or cry, depending on if you are the parent or the observer.